Have you ever gotten to the point where you’ve just run out of ideas for chicken breast? Yep, me too. I also need things that are quick and easy, and have a chance at being eaten by 3 year olds.
We love fried chicken, but let’s be real: it’s a ton of work, creates a big mess and isn’t very good for you. Sure, every once in a while, but I needed an alternative that could be done on the fly. So this is what I came up with, well, maybe Sam came up with it first. As with many of my recipes, you can play with the ingredients. Don’t like ranch dressing? Use Caesar. Add Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs. Heck, add Cheddar, if you prefer. The possibilities are endless!
Crispy Ranch Chicken
1 cup Ranch dressing ( I use Lite)
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet by spraying with cooking spray, or placing a wire rack on top. If using a rack, spray that before you place chicken on it to prevent it from sticking.
- Place Ranch dressing on a shallow plate. I use paper plates so I can throw them right out.
- Mix breadcrumbs together on a second plate.
- Dredge the chicken through the dressing, making sure to coat both sides.
- Dredge it through the breadcrumbs next and place chicken on prepared pan/rack.
- Spray each piece with cooking spray. This will help the breadcrumbs brown. You can also baste with melted butter toward the end of baking.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through completely. Use a meat thermometer or check for doneness by cutting into a piece at it’s thicken point.